The Real Salt Brine Kit is a great choice if you’re looking for a simpler way to brine meat that involves less food prep and shopping. Here’s how you use it:
Directions (Using a full kit for 12-18 lbs. of meat):
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a 4-5 gallon pot.
- Pour in the contents of the Brine Kit.
- Let it simmer until the ingredients completely dissolve, then remove from heat.
- Fully cool the brine before adding the meat. To start the cooling process, add 3 quarts of cold water to the mixture.
- Once completely cooled, add the meat, making sure it’s fully submerged in the brine.
- Put the meat and brine in the fridge for 18-24 hours.
- Remove the meat from the brine and rinse it well.
- Let the meat air dry or pat it dry with paper towels.
- Once the meat is dry, cook it as desired and enjoy!
If you’re brining a smaller piece of meat (something between 6-8 lbs.), you can just use half of the Brine Kit and half the amount of water. If you want to give your meat a sweeter, fruitier flavor, you can substitute cold apple cider instead of water.
For full instructions including photos, check out this blog post.