Lemon essential oil has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and slightly astringent qualities that cleanse and rejuvenate the skin.
Lemon is one of Mother Nature’s many impressive, multi-tasking ingredients. The fruit is full of nutrients and the aroma has been shown to reduce stress, relieve anxiety, ward off mosquitoes, and more. We included lemon essential oil from lemon peel because it can benefit the skin in a number of ways.
Several studies show that lemon essential oil has antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties, which means that it can help clean, sooth, and refresh the skin. It is slightly astringent, assisting in the removal of dead skin cells that can clog pores. It also is a strong antioxidant that binds to free radicals to prevent or delay the damage they cause to skin cells.
Want to learn more? You can spend weeks reading about the many benefits and applications of lemon essential oil, and the list seems to keep growing. Here are a few places to start:
- Summary: What You Need to Know About Lemon Essential Oil
- Research: Commercial Essential Oils as Potential Antimicrobials to Treat Skin Diseases
- Research Study: Antimicrobial Activity of Six Essential Oils Against a Group of Human Pathogens: A Comparative Study
- Research Study: The essential oil from Citrus limetta Risso peels alleviates skin inflammation: In-vitro and in-vivo study
- Research: Evaluation of antioxidant and antitumour activities of lemon essential oil